Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 26: Ada's beauty: I'm swept off my feet!

Beatrice, our local program coordinator & our right hand during this 1 month, had planned a day for us at her summer cottage in small town called Ada, about 3 hours from Accra. I wasn't too sure if I wanted to go as this was my last free day in Accra & was torn between wanting to explore the city & checking out this new beach town which was apparently really beautiful. I finally decided to go to Ada & now I'm so glad I did!


We all filed into the big blue van in which we had spent so many hours prepping, reading, eating, clicking pictures, sleeping/drooling(I'll always have a thing for big blue vans from now :P).  3 hours passed by quickly and before I knew it I was at Beatrice's cottage by the side of a lake. It was really beautiful, serene & calm. Definitely a great weekend getaway! 


As soon as we got there, the calmness of the place hit us & each of us found our tiny spot by the wooden shack where we just found our comfort in reading, just lying under the sun, staring into the horizon (pretending to be deep in thought - me!), talking about profound ideas (read: Gopi ;)) etc. All this topped with mouth watering food served by Beatrice was just too good to be true!

 About 2 hours later, we all got jumped onto the boat hired for the trip & set out to the 'undiscovered' island (at least I'd like to believe that!). The only way anyone could get there was on these boats. I'll never forget the breathtakingly beautiful beaches (read:white sand!), the small colorful cottages & the hundreds of tiny crabs that played 'catch-me-if-you-can' with the waves that crashed against the shore. I ran around collecting loads of shells (dunno, what I'm going to do with them now) and chasing crabs since I was sure they would run away as soon as I neared them.


After another session of staring into the horizon ( I was getting pretty good @ staring ;)), we started back to where the boat was waiting for us. This place reminded me so much of Kerala, India - all the coconut trees, the 'backwaterish' looking scenery - I could've easily fooled myself into thinking I was in Alleppey, Kerala instead of Ada, Ghana. :)


We soon started back to Accra. By now, I was convinced I had seen one of the most breathtakingly beautiful beaches in Ghana. 















Back in the city, we made plans to go out and stay out late as it was our last few days left in the country.
We hit Rhapsody's by 9:00 pm & went on to stay late at this really cool African pub called Afrodisiac!

The feeling of not wanting to leave this place was getting stronger... :|



No comments:

Post a Comment